Channel Islands Maritime Museum
3900 Bluefin Circle
Oxnard, CA  93035

(805) 984-6260 (Phone)   |   (805) 984-5970 (Fax)
Website    |     Email
 
OUR COMPLETE EVENTS CALENDAR
  
The Channel Islands Maritime Museum Speaker Series Presents David Leach-LightHouses
FEATURING
David Leach
This event has expired
Email a Friend
Description
   Do you know how many lighthouses there are? Savers of countless lives. Comforting beacons that provide hope and a reminder of home. Watchful sentinels in a timeless conflict between seafarers and an unforgiving ocean.
   Stop by and learn about these Beacons of Hope!
Event Category & Type:
    Presentation( Classes, Seminars, Meetings, Conferences)


     
Venue
Channel Islands Maritime Museum
3900 Bluefin Circle
Oxnard, CA  93035
Ticketing
Phone:  (805) 984-6260
Internet:  http://www.cimmvc.org

Payment Methods:   Cash

Other
This event is:
  - Open to the General Public
  - All Welcome
 Recent Buzzes!!
8/28/14 - Visit the Channel Islands Maritime Museum and Step Back Into History!
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
Explore five centuries of exquisite maritime art, unique ship models, and dynamic exhibits at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum right at the Harbor!
8/19/14 - Channel Islands Maritime Museum Speaker Series: Anacapa Avenger-The Wreck That Started It All
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
Relive Local History with Patrick Smith, Commercial and Scientific Diver
In the spring of 1945 in the skies above the Santa Barbara Channel there occurred a tragic mishap, a mid- air collision that resulted in a tragic loss of two naval aircraft and the lives of four airmen. In the overall sweep of WWII it was a relatively insignificant event that was quickly forgotten, but it would provoke questions and generate research over the next 40 years.
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
8/13/14 - Channel Islands Maritime Museum Speaker Series: Anacapa Avenger-The Wreck That Started It All
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
Relive Local History with Patrick Smith, Commercial and Scientific Diver
In the spring of 1945 in the skies above the Santa Barbara Channel there occurred a tragic mishap, a mid- air collision that resulted in a tragic loss of two naval aircraft and the lives of four airmen. In the overall sweep of WWII it was a relatively insignificant event that was quickly forgotten, but it would provoke questions and generate research over the next 40 years.
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
8/4/14 - “Semper Paratus: Always Prepared, Selections from the United States Coast Guard Art Program”
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
The Channel Islands Maritime Museum presents, “Semper Paratus: Always Prepared, Selections from the United States Coast Guard Art Program” This exhibit will feature artworks by outstanding artists from around the United States from August 4th through March 31, 2015. The images were commissioned to illustrate the day-to-day activities and services rendered by the men and women who are charged with the security of our coasts. Photographs by USCG Auxiliary member, Michael Brodey, will complement the exhibit.
The Opening Reception will celebrate the 224th birthday of the United States Coast Guard and the 75th of the USCG Auxiliary. It will be held from 6:00 to 7:30 pm, Saturday, August 9th. The reception is open to the public. It will honor the service of the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands Harbor Station and the USCG reservists, the USCG veterans and retirees with a ceremony and a birthday cake. This is an opportunity to meet the professionals who provide marine search and rescue and coastal security for Ventura County. USCG attendees in uniform and their immediate families are admitted free to museum activities through Labor Day. The cost for the reception is free to the public. Refreshments will be served. Please join us!
The Channel Islands Maritime Museum is located at 3900 South Harbor Boulevard (at Bluefin Circle) in Oxnard’s Channel Islands Harbor. It is open daily 11-5 pm Admission for adults $5, seniors $4, children 6-17 $2. The museum may be contacted at (805) 984-6260. Visit our website: www.cimmvc.org
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
7/31/14 - “Semper Paratus: Always Prepared, Selections from the US Coast Guard
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
The Channel Islands Maritime Museum presents, “Semper Paratus: Always Prepared, Selections from the United States Coast Guard Art Program” This exhibit will feature artworks by outstanding artists from around the United States from August 4th through March 31, 2015. The images were commissioned to illustrate the day-to-day activities and services rendered by the men and women who are charged with the security of our coasts. Photographs by USCG Auxiliary member, Michael Brodey, will complement the exhibit.
The Opening Reception will celebrate the 224th birthday of the United States Coast Guard and the 75th of the USCG Auxiliary. It will be held from 6:00 to 7:30 pm, Saturday, August 9th. The reception is open to the public. It will honor the service of the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands Harbor Station and the USCG reservists, the USCG veterans and retirees with a ceremony and a birthday cake. This is an opportunity to meet the professionals who provide marine search and rescue and coastal security for Ventura County. USCG attendees in uniform and their immediate families are admitted free to museum activities through Labor Day. The cost for the reception is free to the public. Refreshments will be served. Please join us!
The Channel Islands Maritime Museum is located at 3900 South Harbor Boulevard (at Bluefin Circle) in Oxnard’s Channel Islands Harbor. It is open daily 11-5 pm Admission for adults $5, seniors $4, children 6-17 $2. The museum may be contacted at (805) 984-6260. Visit our website: www.cimmvc.org
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
7/21/14 - Save the Date! “Semper Paratus: Always Prepared, Selections from the United States Coast Guard Art Program” -
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
The Channel Islands Maritime Museum presents, “Semper Paratus: Always Prepared, Selections from the United States Coast Guard Art Program” The Opening Reception will celebrate the 224th birthday of the United States Coast Guard and the 75th of the USCG Auxiliary. It will be held from 6:00 to 7:30 pm, Saturday, August 9th. The reception is open to the public. It will honor the service of the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands Harbor Station and the USCG reservists, the USCG veterans and retirees with a ceremony and a birthday cake. This is an opportunity to meet the professionals who provide marine search and rescue and coastal security for Ventura County. USCG attendees in uniform and their immediate families are admitted free to museum activities through Labor Day. The cost for the reception is free to the public. Refreshments will be served. Please join us!
7/21/14 - Save the Date! A Big Fish Block Party and Film Screening -- 7/26
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
A Big Fish Block Party and Film Screening to benefit the Museum at 7:00 pm Saturday, July 26, 2014! Join us in our beautiful new yard garden and enjoy gourmet food and popcorn, fine wine, an exhibit tour, and an outdoor showing of Spencer Tracy’s portrayal of Santiago at 8:30 pm.
Tickets available by phone or at the door: $25/couple, $15/adults, $10/members and $5/children under 12. Reserve your seats early! 805.984.6260
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
7/14/14 - Save the Date! A Big Fish Block Party and Film Screeningat the Channel Islands Maritime Museum
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
A Big Fish Block Party and Film Screening to benefit the Museum at 7:00 pm Saturday, July 26, 2014! Join us in our beautiful new yard garden and enjoy gourmet food and popcorn, fine wine, an exhibit tour, and an outdoor showing of Spencer Tracy’s portrayal of Santiago at 8:30 pm.
Tickets available by phone or at the door: $25/couple, $15/adults, $10/members and $5/children under 12. Reserve your seats early! 805.984.6260
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
7/3/14 - Living History Before Your Eyes “The Old Man and the Sea” Exhibit, July 2 – 31 -- 7/2
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
Incorporating Hemingway’s words within a starkly beautiful setting reminiscent of the novel, the Museum installation reintroduces this stunning story of strength and grace in old age and pure human compassion.
It’s not a painting. It’s not a ship model. It’s a book. But not just any book. Many have said it is the greatest sea story ever written, powerful enough to be the only sea story to earn its author a Pulitzer Prize. Curators Jacquelyn Cavish, Erica Kern, and Julia Chambers have teamed up to present their interpretation of “The Old Man and the Sea”, Ernest Hemingway’s last novel to be published in his lifetime.
Central to the project is a 14’ Catalina Wherry built a hundred years ago, similar to those used by Cuban inshore fishermen. Powered by sail or oar, they were gaff-rigged, single sail, and clinker built with a wineglass stern. A recording of the book and live readings are broadcast within the exhibit; also included are quotes and images from the story including a life-size model of a striped marlin.
In addition to the Pulitzer in 1953, the story contributed to a Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954 and was made into a movie in 1958 staring Spencer Tracy. It is taught in schools around the world. The exhibit is collaboration between the Maritime Museum, Ventura County Arts Council and Caregivers of Ventura County, a non-profit that has provided volunteer assistance to the elderly since 1984.
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
6/26/14 - See our Dutch Skies: Four Centuries of Seascape Paintings -- 6/27
> VIEW   
> HIDE  
See our Exhibit "Dutch Skies: Four Centuries of Seascape Paintings" along with historic model ships that can be seen in the museum's newly designed and lighted galleries. Stand next to the antique cannon guarding the "The Gun Deck" gallery's formidable battle paintings.
Presented by ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Venue ... Channel Islands Maritime Museum
Powered by ... www.BigCityBuzz.com  ... and ...  www.TheChamberBusinessNetwork.com